The transformational reform, as envisioned by CILE, requires in-depth renewal at three levels:
- Renewal at the level of philosophy and worldview (weltanschauung): The ultimate objective here is to establish a worldview that overrides the three conventional views (fascination, hostility and integration) in order to found a vision based on mutual participation and partnership.
- Renewal at the level of methodological tools: Methodological tools here mean the concepts through which intellectual reform can be reconstructed bearing in mind that concepts constitute the framework through which juristic rulings (ahkam) are drafted. This demands finding the suitable approaches which have already been developed within the science of the principles of Islamic jurisprudence and also sometimes demands developing novel approaches.
- Renewal at level of the process of independent legal reasoning (ijtihad): This can be done by being critical towards the process itself and trying to reconstruct it every now and then; its components, sources, tools, the inclusion of Scholars of Context, expanding the scope of reasoning beyond theology and rituals.
- Through these three levels, we will be able to construct an ethical theory that can efficiently work in both directions; on one hand being critical towards current reality and on the other hand coming up with alternatives. This will be a multi-phase work during which ethical readings will be conducted for the Quran, Islamic tradition in general especially pre-modern and contemporary Islamic law.
For accomplishing this methodological vision, the CILE research unit “Methodology and Ethics” will embark upon working four epistemological fields:
- Ethical history
- Ethical critical hermeneutics
- Improving the research methodology on a regular basis so that it will be able to satisfy our research ambitions and fulfill the final targets of the project.
- Building up the Islamic ethical theory.
Concepts and terms are at the heart of all disciplines and are reflective of their theoretical structures and holistic perceptions, serving as gateways to understanding them, but "Islamic ethics"…
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation & Ethics (CILE) is collaborating with the international publisher Routledge to publish…
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics held its…
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics in collaboration with Freie Universität Berlin is pleased to announce its…
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) is pleased to invite scholars, academics and researchers to submit their research papers to its seminar on
Doha, November 18, 2015 – The Research Center for Islamic Legislation & Ethics (CILE), member of Hamad bin Khalifa University…
Professors from the Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) with students at the secon
Lecture Aimed At Reviving And Linking The Concept Of Ijtihad With Contemporary Context
Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics to host public lecture on social ethics in the holy Qur’an
Third Annual International Conference in Brussels
“Islam and Modern Ethical Dilemmas”
This presentation discusses anthropological scholarship on Islamic ethics and Islamic law. The presentation is divided into three sections.
Studying Islamic Ethics and Law in Troubled Times
The last three hundred years of Muslim history has witnessed the gap between law and ethics widen.
This question can be framed in several ways each including an aspect of existence of any such moral system in the abstract sense. We can pose such questions as: Does there “exist” what can be…
The Islamic theory of ethics studies the rational/religious foundations of the rules and principles which man is obligated to act upon in the different walks of life through reliance on the…
This event is a side lecture (open to the public) to our internal…
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE), a member of College of Islamic Studies (CIS) in Hamad Bin Khalifa University, cordially invites you to the upcoming public lecture…
Read now online the booklet of this Seminar.
You can also check out previous Volumes of the Journal from here:
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) is pleased to announce the publishing of a new book in collaboration with BRILL, under the title:
CILE Journal of Islamic Ethics: Volume 3 is out
The question of Ethics: a contribution into the ethical criticism of western modernity, Taha Abdelrahman