Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for transformative change in Qatar and the region, while having global impact.
HBKU’s College of Islamic Studies (CIS) was founded to become a beacon for contemporary Islamic scholarship and thought and a platform for meaningful intellectual and cultural dialogue on Islam and Muslims. Through its postgraduate programs and research centers, CIS seeks to address some of the most pressing questions facing Muslim communities today, both locally and globally. Through its offerings, the College strives to advance an understanding of Islam and Muslims and to produce graduates able to contribute and excel in a rapidly changing world.
CIS has an open position for a Senior Researcher at the Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE). The ideal candidate will be able to contribute to the research strengths of the discipline, including the pursuit of research funding and regular publication in high standing journals.
In September 2019, the College of Islamic Studies (CIS) initiated the M.A. Program in Applied Islamic Ethics, one of the pioneer postgraduate programs worldwide in the field of Islamic Ethics. The program addresses how Islam, as a world religion with a rich moral heritage, engages with and contributes to the global moral discourse. Its strong interdisciplinary character combines in-depth knowledge of both theoretical and applied ethics rooted in the Islamic tradition. The successful candidate will be expected to support and facilitate this program in research, teaching, and publishing.
- Prepare and present, alone and in collaboration with research staff, research reports and papers to be presented at research conferences and forums at national, regional, and international levels
- Assist with and, where appropriate, be responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure that work meets research quality objectives toward accreditation standards
- Contribute to the development of research strategy and contribute with other team members in the development of survey methodologies, implementation of fieldwork data analysis, and the review and writing of reports
- Produce and publish original research in accordance with CIS standards in peer-reviewed professional publications
- Engage with faculty members in different research projects, reports, and papers that contribute towards peer-reviewed publications and conferences
- Prepare and submit research proposals in line with CIS research clusters to appropriate national, regional, and international agencies in order to secure competitive funding
- Participate in research related scientific gatherings and collaborate on the organization of events such as seminars and conferences, to maintain close ties with relevant research institutes
- Represent the organization as a prime or lead research contact on projects or proposals
- Guide and mentor junior staff, oversee their design of research tools, such as questionnaires and interview guides, and direct the activities of support staff
- Perform fieldwork protocols, supervise fieldwork implementation, and ensure appropriate documentation of research and accuracy of reports to produce reliable and precise data
- Provide training on specific research data analysis techniques and on protocols and techniques of data collection and analysis to researchers and graduate students
- Prepare training plans for field workers and data collectors and supervise their training
- Teach courses, or co-teach when required
- Assist in supervising CILE students’ theses when applicable
- PhD degree in a relevant field of study
- 3-5 years of relevant full-time work experience
- Proven record of research and publication, with at least 3 publications as principal author
- Basic professional level of knowledge and experience applying technical principles, theories, professional competencies, and techniques of discipline. Learning to apply knowledge in solving a wider range of complex technical problems. A technical education and some related experience, applying these competencies is sufficient to complete most assignments.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely in English and Arabic languages
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement, and names and full contact information of three referees) on the following link:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits, such as housing & transportation allowances, children’s educational assistance, annual paid leave, airfares, and medical insurance, etc.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.