The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE), College of Islamic Studies
Hamad Bin Khalifa University
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) is pleased to invite scholars, academics and researchers to submit their research papers to a closed three-day seminar on
Reconsidering the Manly and the Fraternal in Islamic Virtue Ethics: The Case of Futuwwa
to be held in Doha, Qatar during November 4-6, 2019.
This seminar will afford researchers with the opportunity to consider futuwwa in two contexts simultaneously:
- Islamic virtue ethics (and its moral vocabulary),
- the study of gender in Islamic intellectual history.
Accepted papers will be published in a peer-review outlet, in collaboration with Brill Publishers.
Relevant Fields of Study
Virtue Ethics, Psychology, Sufi Studies, Islamic Intellectual History, and Gender Studies.
Requirements and Deadline
- (a) Please submit a draft of your paper for consideration no later than October 1, 2019. Drafts should be 2,000 to 7,000 words in length and written in either English or Arabic. describing the research’s core ideas and how they will be addressed in the light of the attached Background Paper. They should be sent to this email. "futuwwa @ cilecenter . org" (remove spaces). Please also include a 250-word author biography,
- (b) Participants will receive an invitation by October 10, 2019,
- (c) Costs of travel and accommodation will be covered by CILE,
- (d) Costs of open-access publication in a refereed venue will be covered by CILE, as well as costs of translation from English into Arabic, or from Arabic into English,
- (e) Participants will be expected to offer complete versions of their papers within two months after the seminar, by January 5, 2020. These should be between 7,000 and 10,000 words,
- (f) Questions about the theme or scope of this symposium should be sent to Dr. Cyrus Zargar. "zargar @ ucf . edu" (remove spaces).