Call for Research Papers
CILE International Seminar (In Collaboration with the University of Cambridge)
The Conceptual Ground of Good and Evil in Islamic Discourse: A Fecund Domain For Ethical Reflections
5-7 October 2022
The Doha-based Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE), in collaboration with the Cambridge Interfaith Program at the University of Cambridge, is pleased to invite scholars, academics and researchers to submit their research papers to a closed three-day seminar on:
The Conceptual Ground of Good & Evil in Islamic Discourse: A Fecund Domain For Ethical Reflections
to be held in Doha in October 05-07, 2022. The seminar will be convened by Dr. Feriel Bouhafa, who is currently a visiting researcher at the University of Cambridge. The proceedings of the seminar will be published as a special issue in the peer-reviewed and open-access Journal of Islamic Ethics.
Interested researchers are kindly requested to send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
>> Please note that only submissions sent to this e-mail address will be considered and evaluated <<
- (a) An abstract (300-500 words), describing the research’s core ideas and how they will be addressed in the light of the attached Background Paper, and
- (b) A brief biography (max. 500 words) outlining the applicant’s academic background, main research interests and key publications.
Authors whose abstracts are accepted will receive an invitation to submit their full papers (between 7,000 and 10,000 words) within the deadlines specified below. The authors of a selection of the accepted papers will be invited to participate in the seminar and the other accepted papers will be considered for the publication project. It is to be noted that submissions (abstracts, bios and full papers) can be written in either English, Arabic and French. Full papers should follow the style outline in the attached file “Instructions for Authors”.
Plan of the Refereed Publication with Brill
In April 2016, CILE signed an agreement with Brill to launch the refereed Journal of Islamic Ethics (JIE). A thematic issue in the JIE is one of the planned deliverables of the above-mentioned publication project “Unpacking the conceptual ground of good and evil in Islamic discourse: a fecund domain for ethical reflections”. Thus, accepted submissions in this call-for-papers will undergo the usual peer-review process for inclusion in the publication project.
- 15 January 2022: Deadline for submitting an abstract and short bio. Please read carefully the attached Background Paper before writing the abstract
- 15 February 2022: Authors whose abstracts are accepted will be notified and invited to write the full papers
- 1 July 2022: Deadline for submitting the full papers to circulate them between participants
- 1 August 2022: Authors will be notified about the acceptance (or not) of their full-text papers
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com. For any inquiries about this call-for-papers or about the accompanying Background Paper, please contact the convenor of the seminar Dr. Feriel Bouhafa (firstname.lastname@example.org).