Job Opportunity: Research Assistant in a QNRF Project
The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE), College of Islamic Studies (CIS) at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) received a research grant from the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF), under its celebrated flagship funding program, National Priorities Research Program (NPRP). The grant is given to the project “Indigenizing Genomics in the Gulf Region (IGGR): The Missing Islamic Bioethical Discourse”. The Lead Principal Investigator (LPI) of the project is Dr Mohammed Ghaly, Professor of Islam and Biomedical Ethics. We are looking for a highly qualified and enthusiast Research Assistant to support the team of researchers involved in this project.
Generally speaking, the successful candidate will be responsible for research-management tasks, which are typical for a research assistant involved in a funded research project. Concrete examples of such tasks include the following:
- Assist in and support the planning, execution and evaluation of research projects
- Perform day-to-day research management activities and facilitate communication among the researchers involved in the project and ensure proper and accurate documentation for future referencing
- Collect sources and analyze data to achieve the most optimal solution for research projects
- Develop and design prototypes utilizing the appropriate tools, methodologies and techniques to achieve the required project results
- Help prepare research proposals intended for national and international agencies to secure competitive funding and grants for research projects
- Help prepare reports and presentations related to research activities intended for the cross-functional teams, QF Research Division and the Strategic Research Board.
- Help prepare research reports, papers and articles to be published in academic and refereed journals and conference proceedings.
- Maintain and develop networks and relationships in the research community, especially those with the relevance to the research project
- Conduct frequent consultations to receive work instructions, to collaborate on projects, and to report on research progress
- Conduct regular contact with researchers involved in the project and with other scientists and scholars (locally, regionally and internationally).
- Bachelor degree, preferably in Islamic Studies, biomedical sciences or other related specializations
- Proficiency in English and Arabic
- Excellent writing skills – ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Experience with computing technologies
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Background in research and publication management is a plus, especially in the field of Islamic Studies or biomedical sciences
Workload and Stipend
- This is a part-time job (20 hours per week) with flexible work time and most of the tasks can be performed inside or outside work office.
- The annual stipend is competitive and in alignment with the QNRF payment scales.
- The duration of the contract will be one year. In principle, it can be extended later up to the end of the project (September 2019), based on progress and achievements demonstrated by the appointed candidate.
- Please note that this job does not grant sponsorship for the accepted candidate or any other extra benefits. So, the applicants need to be living in Qatar already.
How to Apply
- For those interested in applying to this job, please send (a) your updated CV and (b) samples of your own writing (in English or Arabic), if any, to this email.
- For any specific inquiries about this vacancy, you can contact Dr. Mohammed Ghaly (email) who is leading this research project.
- Priority will be given to the candidates who apply earlier and who are ready to start working as early as possible. Please note that the recruitment process can take about two months, after selecting the candidate.