The Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics (CILE) is an academic center based in the College of Islamic Studies, Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Qatar, with international orientation and an ambitious research agenda. One of CILE’s key instruments to achieve its Vision and Mission is producing original, high-quality, impactful and interdisciplinary research in the emerging field of Islamic Ethics, including research engaging with fields like Arts, Economics, Education, Environment, Food, Gender, Media, Biomedical Sciences, Migration & Human Rights, Politics and Psychology.
In September 2019, the College of Islamic Studies initiated the M.A. Program in Applied Islamic Ethics, one of the pioneer postgraduate programs worldwide in the field of Islamic Ethics. The program addresses how Islam, as a world religion with a rich moral heritage, engages with and contributes to the global moral discourse. Its strong interdisciplinary character combines in-depth knowledge of both theoretical and applied ethics rooted in the Islamic tradition.
Against this background, CILE is recruiting visiting scholars to enhance the research ventures of the Center and the teaching activities in the M.A. Program.
(B) Qualifications & Tasks
- The ideal candidate for this position is a highly qualified academic researcher who can stay in Doha for six months, ideally starting from January 2020, and who has the following qualifications:
- A strong publication record with relevance to the fields of Islamic Ethics and an academic career demonstrating an ability to lead group-oriented research.
- Multilingual excellence: Participants in CILE research activities usually include those who are only proficient in Arabic or English. In order to be able to manage the research-related activities, the prospective visiting professor/researcher should be proficient in at least Arabic and English.
The tasks of the selected candidate will consist of three main components, namely (a) teaching (b) research, and (c) service
- Teaching: The selected candidate will teach the course “Research Methods and Sources on Islamic Ethics” which makes part of the abovementioned Applied Islamic Ethics program. Besides teaching, the candidate will be responsible for developing the detailed syllabus of the course, in coordination with the Program Coordinator.
- Research: Applicants should draft a “research plan” to work on during their six-month visit. The plan should lead to concrete research output, possibly including one of the following options:
- Peer-reviewed Publications: This may include publishing article(s), edited volume, or a monograph. Preference will be given to publication plans which fall within the scope of the CILE Journal of Islamic Ethics, or the book-series Studies in Islamic Ethics, both published by Brill.
- Organizing Research Seminar: CIE regularly organizes research seminars where academics and experts in various fields critically examine topics related to Islamic Ethics and its interplay with other research fields from interdisciplinary perspectives. These seminars are preceded by Call-for-Papers process. For applicants interested in this option, they need to draft Background Paper explaining their plans for the to-be-organized seminar. For an example of a Background Paper of one of the CILE previous seminars, please visit this link for the English version and this link for the Arabic version.
- Service: Besides teaching and conducting research, the selected candidate will participate in other related activities, especially serving on committees entrusted with various tasks, e.g., reviewing submitted research proposals, articles or book manuscripts, organizing CILE International Conference, CILE Summer / Winter School, etc.
CILE will offer the following benefits for the selected candidate:
- A highly competitive monthly stipend
- Accommodation during the six-month period of the visit
- Covering the costs of publishing the candidate’s research outcome via open access, when it is published in CILE Journal of Islamic Ethics, or the book-series Studies in Islamic Ethics.
(D) How to submit?
Please send the following documents/information to this email ( job @ cilecenter . org ) (remove spaces):
- An updated CV
- A cover letter where the candidate explains his/her (a) teaching philosophy and (b) research plan during the six-month visit and the expected output.
We continue considering submissions until the position is assigned to a successful candidate.